Me: "Are you scared about school Damian?"
Damian- " Nope."
Me- " Who will you eat lunch by?"
Damian- " I think I'll sit by Maddie." ( our next door neighbor)
Me- " You may not see her in the cafeteria. You can always make friends."
Short pause. Turns around to face me.
Damian- "You want me to DRAW my friends???" ( with the sarcastic look he gives)
I have been giggling quietly ever since. If any of you have heard my "growing like a weed" story about Damian you'll know exactly why he said this!
Children with autism and speech delays have issues with idioms. An idiom is any phrase that has a non-literal meaning. Since children with autism are literal thinkers, Damian doesn't understand when someone says " It's raining cats and dogs!" Or my favorite " You're growing like a weed!"
Damian thought I literally wanted him to make friends.
I haven't stopped smiling and hugging him.
Jul 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Thank you for visiting my little piece of the internet world. As I read some of your entries it reminds me of the journey I have been on and how little I write of it. I forget how many other moms of special children are out there reading my blog. I will share some of my story soon. It's time.
Sascha
Post a Comment