They will be 2nd graders, 5th graders and a Kinder kid all at once. Phew. Time flies.
The last day was bittersweet for me. The ending of a tough year for Damian, Brandon transitioning from Kinder to 1st beautifully and becoming the best speller and reader and then in July starting a whole new school year.
I like the small breaks in between better than 3 months off for the summer. It keeps them refreshed from what they learned, they don't get too bored and it's a constant flow of school so to speak which is good for Damian.
When I say rough year for Damian it was probably more rough for ME. His teacher this year was not a good fit for him and is not familiar with children on the spectrum or with IEP's. Individualized Educational Program. In other words Damian has a certain plan for learning with goals that need to be met. Took her awhile to get that.
He on the other hand had a blast as usual. It's the behind scenes stuff I deal with and see. His aide this year is an angel sent to us. She does not hover over him and is really there to just give the nudge to start a task. Damian is not a self starter at all. But once he gets going he's off. She helped with recess time too and now he is off with classmates everyday playing.
Brandon is Mr. Popular as usual and I feel for Damian sometimes because he is not up to par socially. Brandon became an awesome reader and his spelling was phenomenal. Troy worked mainly with Brandon this year and I take Damian except Math. That's Troy. Brandon's teacher is always telling me that she could sit Brandon next to someone and he was always the one who helped other students and volunteered for everything. The sweetest boy. Sigh.
I love that. Love that he thinks of other people. We are doing something right :)
So I did the usual end of the year frame for the teachers.
This year I made a bag with a note on the front about thanking them for their commitMINT, encourageMINT and involveMINT in their lives. You get it.
With a little bag of mint candies and gum. They loved it.
We also celebrated my Mom's bday at my Dad's with the biggest hunk of cake that was too heavy to carry really. I ate chocolate shavings off the side. Mmmmm...
Then yesterday we took all of them to see Cars 2 in 3D and it was the first time for Max and Mila. I was always afraid with how loud it was for Max when he had auditory issues but he did great. Mila was a little hesitant with the noise at first but loved the glasses and the little popcorn pack she got.
So we're going to enjoy our time off before the school year starts with all of them in school.
Santa Cruz is getting closer. YAY!!
.............
xo





No comments:
Post a Comment